The Institute of National Museums of Rwanda (INMR) is a government institution, which was inaugurated in September 18, 1989 with one ethnographic museum based in Huye district-Southern Province officially known as the National Museum of Rwanda. Since 2004 other museums have been opened countrywide, these are:
- Ethnographic Museum located in Huye District opened in 1987
- Kandt House Museum in Nyarugenge District opened in December 2004,
- Kwigira Museum in Nyanza District opened in May 2006,
- King's Palace Museum in Nyanza District opened in May 2008, and
- Rwanda Art Museum in Kicukiro District opened in February 2009.
- Museum of Environment in Karongi District-Western Province Musopened on 16th July 2015.
- National Liberation Museum Park in Gicumbi Districti
- Museum for Campaign Against Genocide in Gasabo District opened on 13/12/2012
Today INMR is positioning itself as a core stakeholder in promoting Rwandan Cultural tourism, with the aim of national economic development.